MOVIE REVIEW: MALEFICENT

Monday, June 09, 2014


you guys know how much I love fiction, how much I love fairy tale, how much I love Disney's princesses

when I heard Disney is going to remake Sleeping Beauty, I was like... "After waiting for years they finally decided it!" 

Sleeping Beauty is one of my favorites (have I told you that I love Disney movies?) I have the 1959 version and almost all the Disney movies original version, I can't resist the temptation to watch them on the weekend while cuddling with my baby sister or all alone. Life is good.

anyway, since this movie is brand new and not everyone has watch it yet, so I want to remind you that this post may be contains spoilers and trust me you don't want to read this before watch the movie first. 

feel free to close the tab and come back after you watch it yourself ;)


''Let us tell an old story anew and see how well you know it.''



Angelina Jolie is Maleficent.
Maleficent is the dark side of Sleeping Beauty. 

That's the best thing ever happens in my movie-life! She's one of my favorite actress and I don't feel needed to tell all of you how great she is. 

She's magnificent! 

She portrayed the perfect Maleficent, a villain on Sleeping Beauty, the evil fairy fairy with brown, bird-like wings and surly horns which are at odds with her trusting spirit and strong moral compass. She's given a character with a lot of dimensions and depth, and she handles it marvelously. She straddles the line of scenery-chewing early on, but she improves as the film continues. I can say that she delivers an amazing performance and makes a well-known villain relate-able and more sympathetic, while also managing to look like a convincing, gorgeous, magical creature. 


The story itself is well-written, with an imaginative perspective and some surprising plot developments. I kinda like they made some differences from the original version and I believe this story was planned long time ago. 

The whole movie was so focused just around Angelina Jolie's character, Maleficent ...that I can't even remember seeing any other character on screen for more than a short 5 minutes...including Aurora. Even though she gave a stunning performance and excellently portrayed her role... the story came through being way to boring and wanting by the end. 

The bigger problem is in the story - and especially the resolution. The ending, quite frankly, sucks. The movie could have done with a longer segment of sinister & evil Maleficent, and it really needed to lose its very, very incoherent messages about people with power. The action scenes are good but we need more to make this movie less boring. 

The CGI is a tad heavy and a little weird at times (such as the three coloured pixies/Aunts) but was used, in combination with some amazing sets, to create a fantastic world and creatures. Every inch of the huge 3D screen displays an unbelievably rich collaboration in the joys film making destined to last as long as Disney's original, delivered by artists at the top of their crafts.


The actors and actresses are really a perfect choice! Elle Fanning is as beautiful as Aurora's cartoon version! She's an incredible 16 year old actress. The perfect combination of natural acting, beauty and princess. Then we have Sam Riley as Maleficent's wings. He choose a different character than he had before. I remembered how Sam was in On the Road and that's a great thou. Brenton Thwaites as Prince Phillip is a great choice and he's handsome, right? He has a Prince-ish face, the combination of humble and gentle. Sharlto Copley as King Stefan is also great but I think there's imbalance between Jolie and him, yeah you know what I'm talking about... AND this is really a bad choice to make King Stefan is the weakest character, I can say he's a bipolar or something and that's not what really happens on the original version. Why they decided to make Aurora's father really bad? that's a worst villain thou...


The fairies, Flora, Fauna, and Merryweather - I refuse to call them by their new names played by Imelda Staunton, Juno Temple, and Lesley Manville are NOTHING like they were in Sleeping Beauty, and this is a big deal. In Sleeping Beauty, say what you will about their flaws but their ultimate motivation was keeping Aurora SAFE. At least they tried, even if they failed! Maleficent portrays them as nothing more than stupid buffoons who only care about saving their own skins. Aurora was just a means to an end for them; they have no relationship with her like they do in the original. The movie also took away their own personalities, so they are no different from each other. Watching them on screen with everything they say or do was as cringe worthy as I expected it to be. Can we talk about their age? I can't believe they choose two grandma and an auntie to play the kind fairy trio. I expected to be younger or at least they all have the same age. I didn't say they were bad but it would be better to see if they're at the same age. Juno Temple is really great but otherwise the other fairies are older than her made her looks really dumb in this movie. 

The soundtrack is amazing. James Newton Howard's score is both majestic and powerful. There are some beautiful piano bits, and some marvelous orchestral pieces. Ignoring some unfortunate electronic elements near the end, James gets it right, and it's grandOnce upon a time by Lana Del Rey? WOW. Her voice is the perfect soundtrack for this movie because this is about Maleficent, about an villain-hero character. She has dark side but yet a love inside. 


After all, Maleficent is a good but not great film. You’ll find yourself leaving the theater thinking "I like it, this is pretty good but maybe it's better if..." and wishing for more. I mean, Come on! This is Disney's!

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS