THE GIRL ON THE TRAIN | SPOILER FREE BOOK REVIEW

Friday, August 19, 2016

Hello!

It's been awhile since the last time I posted a book review, now that I finally finished one, I thought I'd share! I actually owned this book for more than a year but at some point, it never gets me to read it. Ever since I finished Gone Girl, a depressing psychological suspense thriller book became one of my favourites.



The Girl on the Train became one of the most read books all over the world. Needless to say, this is that one book everyone crazy about. The hype is real and for me personally, it worth the hype.

This Paula Hawkins' novel is a dark and haunting story with unreliable main characters. Using three women as the narrator of the story: Rachel, Megan and Anna - Hawkins bring us to the conclusions and which are most likely wrong. 


The chapters alternate between three of them with Rachel as present and main narrator, Megan as flashback narrator and Anna existed to provide another perspective of the story. Each woman has a very different and unique character. Each woman presents our thought about who, why and how. They connect the stories very differently from our point of view and it makes us want to read more and more. 

Told from multiple characters, we learn a lot about people's personalities. For real, none can trust anyone. When I read this book, I didn't even trust my own opinions because these characters are bad people. They can't be trust. When we thought we can trust one, next page would ruin your feelings. It's also interesting that the centre of the character, Rachel, makes us feel pity and disgust at the same time. It's a rare thing, right? 

This is a slow paced book, too slow even. I found myself bored at some points, wondering when the story was going to happen without realising it was actually happening, I was anxiously flipping the pages because I enjoyed it. It feels like playing detective with the a boring and usual case: a missing woman.

It is psychological thriller book that playing with your feelings and patience, giving you little possible hints to the plot so that's why it is kinda boring. If you really paying attention, I think you'll know the answer of your 'who' question.

The story is about people's true colours, about trust and honesty as seen from women's perspective, about our ability to recognise people from one to another. This book is about lying and cheating, about betrayal, dark side of people.

I hope a different ending. It isn't good enough for me because from the very beginning it is a slow built, slow but sure one and it becomes very interesting and addicting. I have to say it's not an amazing twist, not really shocking but it's okay. It's not great ending but fine. The twist is very easy to guess throughout half of the book, like if you like something more challenging, more twisted, this is not the one for you.



Thanks for reading! Xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS